(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
- anthonysrainyday reblogged this from daaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiinironfoot
- kosc likes this
- secretly-cyanide reblogged this from bassrx
- conceal-and-lift likes this
- night-can-make-you-blind likes this
- pandalianxx likes this
- eyelovebrains likes this
- mo-hism reblogged this from socialjusticekars
- zombielalonde reblogged this from chubby-gerard
- shinehkitteh likes this
- curlzabound likes this
- walking-abbeyroad reblogged this from feminist-fairy
- charcoalgreetings reblogged this from trii-aan
- stuffineedtowatch reblogged this from feminist-fairy
- trii-aan reblogged this from ironiconion and added:
- ironiconion likes this
- ironiconion reblogged this from feminist-fairy
- navyclouds reblogged this from feminist-fairy
- feminist-fairy reblogged this from rose-budt
- rose-budt reblogged this from luzdelunita
- luzdelunita reblogged this from themakeupthief
- luzdelunita likes this
- moonstruck2 reblogged this from shanlocke
- convalesco likes this
- shanlocke reblogged this from pansexual-atheist-in-lokis-army
- angelwithagun2herhead reblogged this from nerdycapricornofdoom
- rhythmofthewardrums-sh reblogged this from pansexual-atheist-in-lokis-army
- rhythmofthewardrums-sh likes this
- i-think-this-urls-mostly-filler reblogged this from pansexual-atheist-in-lokis-army
- pansexual-atheist-in-lokis-army reblogged this from silentsymphonyxo
- pansexual-atheist-in-lokis-army likes this
- ayyy-this-is-satan reblogged this from silentsymphonyxo
- sporks369 likes this
- nerdycapricornofdoom reblogged this from themonsters-under-my-bed
- themonsters-under-my-bed reblogged this from silentsymphonyxo
- fuckityfardisgetinthetardis likes this
- iamnottomhiddlestonswifeyet reblogged this from silentsymphonyxo
- silentsymphonyxo reblogged this from bespectacledbisexual
- silentsymphonyxo likes this
- jbbuddies reblogged this from sterek-vs-sterek
- sterek-vs-sterek reblogged this from kaeandlucy
- inspired-kettchup reblogged this from despairdeity
- levi-jeans-ravioli likes this
- bubblebubbleteaxo likes this
- kpop-fangirl-epicness reblogged this from ar-eum-da-wo
- ar-eum-da-wo reblogged this from likedkpopbeforegangnamstyle
- zender3162 reblogged this from just-some-random-face
- just-some-random-face reblogged this from dark-whimsy