(Rebloggable version of this reply, per request.)
Well, here’s the deal, anon. The Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian group, and they impose those beliefs on the people that they employ and the communities they serve. Here are a few examples:
They are so opposed to LGBT rights that they have lobbied multiple times for exemptions from Federal and Local anti-discrimination laws, and threatened to withdraw their services.
They refused to provide shelter to a homeless gay couple, unless they broke up and renounced their homosexuality.
They refused to provide a transgender woman with shelter that was congruent with her gender presentation, instead insisting she house with men. She chose instead to sleep on the sidewalk and died from the cold.
Speaking of gender, there was also this charming incident where one of their hostels refused to open the door for a 17-year-old victim who had just been brutally raped (or even call the police for her) because that particular hostel had a strict “men only” policy.
Children who can’t prove their immigration status are turned away.
The organization also disposes of any Harry Potter or Twilight related donations (rather than giving them to other charities), because they claim the toys are “incompatible with the charity’s Christian beliefs”.
During the Bush Administration (thanks to ‘faith-based initiatives’) they fired about 20 long-time employees (Jewish, Muslim, Hindu and Gay), simply for refusing to sign the organization’s statement of Christian belief.
So, that—in a nutshell—is what’s wrong with it.
Winter is coming… and so are their buckets. Remember this when they’re bothering you for change.
- syliar likes this
- rudefisherman likes this
- bleedingsilverbird reblogged this from shellofduality
- dahliafordays reblogged this from shellofduality
- shellofduality reblogged this from i-just-rode-up-on-a-unicorn-and
- monocirrus reblogged this from rissachangedforthebetter
- monocirrus likes this
- fuckthiscrappywebsite reblogged this from queernessandlatkes
- kirikopuffs reblogged this from pastelgoth
- lordpotatonuggetz reblogged this from pastelgoth
- lordpotatonuggetz likes this
- lolitarific likes this
- electriccurtain likes this
- richgirlsdieyoung likes this
- districtfalls reblogged this from perksofbeingadoucher
- mimissmischievous reblogged this from pastelgoth
- mimissmischievous likes this
- mugo711 likes this
- ginseng2002 likes this
- princessineila likes this
- cigs-and-coffee reblogged this from teenofconeyisland
- cigs-and-coffee likes this
- pastelgoth reblogged this from teenofconeyisland
- pastelgoth likes this
- perksofbeingadoucher reblogged this from teenofconeyisland
- yawninglolita reblogged this from teenofconeyisland
- teenofconeyisland reblogged this from suhostomp
- tayler-kay reblogged this from alexifresh
- autumnpunk reblogged this from gay-tier
- rosey-buddy likes this
- storiesfrom-thecity likes this
- inexpectable likes this
- swannskies reblogged this from gingergenower
- elokoboithebakarysson likes this
- gingergenower reblogged this from benjysaurusrex
- neepolonius reblogged this from tisnancelot
- my-weird-thoughts reblogged this from limey404
- marypenelope reblogged this from maxkirin
- bloodymaryofficial reblogged this from launchpad-mcwack
- so-cats-much-amaze reblogged this from triiisaratops
- maybesomesexuals reblogged this from triiisaratops
- launchpad-mcwack reblogged this from triiisaratops
- pinkgabbercat likes this
- maybesomesexuals likes this
- triiisaratops reblogged this from caterjunes
- ambersagen reblogged this from thequeergoblinking
- whtacatch reblogged this from bespectacledbisexual
- feministsansa likes this
- nowwithjustin likes this